Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dan Aykroyd: True Canadian Hero

First, let me answer what I know you are probably thinking - yes, Dan Aykroyd is from Canada. He was born in Ottawa.

Now since that is taken care of, I would like to share my thoughts and overwhleming adoration for whom I consider to be one of the more underrated, underappreciated comedic actors of all time (well, from about 1980 - 1995).



My affinity for Mr. Aykroyd began about midway through college. I had seen a few of his movies and SNL skits by this time in my life, but had never truly appreciated his acting repertoire until I saw Nothing But Trouble. I give large amounts of praise to one of my college roommates who shared this hidden gem with me during our sophomore year. Since then, he and I have both had overwhelming support of all things Dan A. and would spend countless hours reciting his quotes from masterpieces like: The Blues Brothers, Ghostbusters, The Great Outdoors, Coneheads, Trading Places and the SNL skit Two Wild and Crazy Guys with Steve Martin.



Nothing But Trouble is a film of which few are aware. But anyone with a soft spot for Aykroyd's antics will surely find this flick fantastic. Aykroyd's knack for spewing several incoherent, explicitly long, unconnectable words is certainly apparent in this classic. But because my movie review skills are completely inferior to one, Matt Dreamboat, I'll stop there and instead offer you the IDMB plot summary verbatim (please note that Tupac is also in this movie):

"A businessman (Chevy Chase) finds he and his friends the prisoners of a sadistic judge (Dan Aykroyd) and his equally odd family in the backwoods of a bizarre mansion."

I would be remiss if I failed to mention a couple of my favorite lines from the Judge himself:

"Well, all I know is in '17 after they shipped me off to fight, some New York financier rolled in here one day and hog-glowsered and tub-wankled my grandfather into mining out the whole town in exchange for shares in something called the United Coke Company. Do you know what those stock certificates are worth today? JUST ABOUT THE FINEST OUTHOUSE WALLPAPER YOU'VE EVER SEEN! We were forced to become what you drove through today; a burnt out coal field and the biggest icebox graveyard this side of the Ohio foundry belt! And that's why I *never* let a banker go!"


"Hula hula hula. Bula bula bula. Look who's got the front seats to the Mexican hat dance now. Just like a bunch of spiders in a birthday cake!"


I wont go into much more detail regarding any of the other aformentioned movies. I just hope the people who read this will give a try at queuing up their Netflix for Nothing But Trouble and any other Aykroyd flicks you haven't seen. It will open up your creative mind and make you wonder why today's comedies aren't nearly as good. 


So what is Aykroyd up to these days?
To summarize, if you are looking impress friends at a party with some great movie lines that no one has ever heard of, I would highly suggest running through the filmography of Dan Aykroyd and catching the unforgettable one-liners from which his Hollywood career was created.


~Geno

No comments:

Post a Comment