Monday, January 31, 2011

Restaurant Review: Hard Times Cafe (Clarendon)

With my brother in town this past weekend, we went out to dinner and watch some college basketball at the Hard Times Cafe in Clarendon, a decision largely driven by a Groupon I had been saving for a rainy day.  For those who don't live in the greater Washington area, Hard Times is a local chain with about fifteen locations (including Nationals Park!) that is renowned for its four varieties of chili and its chicken wings.  As it was our first time at Hard Times, that's exactly what we got.

We split an enormous appetizer of nachos, complete with chili, cheddar, jalapenos, and diced tomatoes, that rivals those at Mister Days' (but that's a review for another day).  My brother got a bowl of the Teringula Red (more of a Texas style chili) that came with cornbread and left him stuffed.  I got an order of grilled Chili Lime wings which were probably the best I've had in the year and a half I've lived down here.  At $9 for 10 wings they were certainly expensive, but you could always come on Cheap Wing Wednesday to try them.

Hard Times' relaxed atmosphere is enjoyable and mirrors the style of the food served there.  Between the 70s rock-heavy jukebox and a number of big TVs showing basketball games, I was happy as a clam.  As the Clarendon Hard Times is right across from the Metro, it makes for great people watching, too.  I suppose Hard Times could be considered a sports bar, but the food there is so good that non-sports fans would have a great time, too.  If you're ever in the mood for chili or wings, I'd highly recommend Hard Times.

~J.J. Gittes

No comments:

Post a Comment